Monday, 2 May 2016

Green Smoothie

Awhile ago my doctor told me that I needed more veggies in my diet and just more calories in general. So I started making more smoothies. This is my current green smoothie that we've been drinking either for breakfast or a snack.

Recipe makes 2 smoothies.

  • 1 cup Almond Milk - I've been trying out different brands and flavours. Usually it's unsweetened vanilla flavour. High in calcium and low in calories
  • 2 cups Spinach - the green part of the smoothie. I tried kale, but I don't like kale. At all. Also high in vitamins and potassium. Much needed in my diet.
  • 1 Avocado - another green part. The good fat. Also much needed.
  • 1 Banana - Potassium central! 
  • 1 cup Blueberries - Antioxidants! They're yummy too and quite easy for me to get.
  • 1 cup Pineapple - Full of energy making Manganese and Thiamin. When you get up at 4am everyday, you need all you can get!
  • 2 teaspoons of Ground Flax - Full of omega fatty acids which help with the heart and is an anti-inflammatory. I've bad knees, so this is a great thing.
  • 2 teaspoons of Ground Chia - Full of B vitamins and iron. Both of which I need like crazy!
  • 1 scoop of Protein Powder - Right now I'm using Banana flavoured. I switch it up though.
So I punched this all into MyFitnessPal and came up with these stats:

402         Calories
15g         Fat
1693mg   Potassium
67.5g      Carbs
15g         Fiber
23g         Sugars
24g         Protein
111.5%    Vitamin A
116%       Vitamin C
50%        Calcium
45%        Iron

I try to make all meals and snacks about 500 Calories mainly because I'm suppose to be eating about 5 times a day and about 2500 Calories. So this works pretty well. I freeze most of the fruit so that the smoothies are more frozen than liquidy. I tend to make them the night before then they're ready for the next morning. I don't want to wake the neighbours with the blender at 4am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment